In this topic we will describes the necessary steps to migrate a VMWare VM to the Amazon Web Services (AWS) using PowerShell. You could also migrate VM using AWS command line tools, but I found using PowerShell is much easier than command line tools.
- AWS Tools for Windows PowerShell (http://aws.amazon.com/powershell/)
- IAM account to authenticate.
- Basic knowledge on PowerShell.
Preparing VMware Guest:
There are few things need to be fix before you start migrating VM to AWS.
- Remove all snapshots from snapshot manager.
- Partition must be IDE All the partition must be IDE, if anyone of them is SCSI, you have to convert it to IDE.
- Primary system drive of the VM must be C: drive, if not you have to change it. (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/223188)
- Uninstall VMware Tools.
- You must enable Remote Desktop and also make sure it is not getting blocked by firewall.
- Reset local administrator password. It is always recommended to create one additional local admin user account.