NOTE: Purpose of this article is to help people to protect their own ADSL Router, and how to made them more secure, to avoid such indecent in future.
First connect to your broadband, and goto http://whatismyip.com to know your public IP Address.
Now you need Port Scanner software, here I used a free one from RadMIN. Open Port Scanner after install and type your IP Range like following figure and set port range from 80 to 81.
Hit Scan button as soon as you finish above steps.
After finish scanning you have to look for the alive IP Addresses those have port 80 opened like following figure.
Here I have found IP Address with port 80 opened. No you have to open that IP Address from internet Explorer like following figure.
If everything went fine, It will ask you for user id and password, and out of 10 ADSL Router, at least 6 having default password, coz no one bother to change that default password L .
So, give it a try with following ID and Pass:
ID : admin / Pass : admin (most common)
ID : admin / Pass : admin123
ID : admin / Pass : admin321
ID : root / Pass : root
ID : root / Pass : admin
ID : admin / Pass : root
Wow!! I have got the access… Now I can do whatever I want. But I don’t want to do anything. 🙂
You can access any settings on the ADSL Router.
Now you need an Asterisk Key recovery tool to get the broadband user ID and Password
Here password recovered successfully in a second. 🙂
NOW, the question is how you are going to protect your own ADSL Router?
Simple!! You have to check few things, add some extra security to avoid such incident in future.
- After Installation of your modem, ask the engineer about your modem user id and password.
- 90% of ADSL Modem using http://192.168.1.1 for their own console, so logon to that console and change your modem console password immediately.
- If you are using your modem to connect internet for only one system, it’s recommended to configure modem as BRIDGE type, coz, here you have to dial from your own desktop, so, it’s not required to save your broadband user id and password in your modem.
- In some router, you can restrict console access, if it is supported by your router, and then enable it for Private Network only.
- Finally, if you are reading this topic, then after reading, tell your friends about this hole, and secure yourself as well as your friends. 🙂
Disclaimer: This article reflect my own views with no warranties, also do not necessarily represent the views of my employer.
HOW to HACK into Broadband ADSL Modem (Router) and get the BroadBand User ID and Password!! by Techno Chat|Tech Blog!! is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.